Durarara!!/デュラララ!! Role Play
Hey...pssst...yeah, you! I'd log in or register if I were you before Shizuo Heiwajima gets angry and decides to throw a trash can at YOU for a change...

Durarara!!/デュラララ!! Role Play

Ikebukuro: To some, it is just another big city in Japan, but there are others who have been priviledged to see what really goes on. Gang violence isn't what we're talking about. You'll soon see what I mean. Welcome to Ikebukuro...

homeHomeFAQCalendarSearchRegisterLog inpage 1

Affiliates
free forum

free forum

Share | 

Plot Outlines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaniCojo
Admin

PostSubject: Plot Outlines   Wed May 30, 2012 3:53 pm

As a writer, I've learned that some of my stories crash and burn, while others soar to be somewhat decent work. Although recently I've discovered why some of my stories just don't make it, and the other grow into giant beasts of literary work. The key is a plot outline.

Now before you panic, outlines are actually really simple! And they don't have to be very detailed. For example, here is a small snippet of my outline from when I was writing "Your Last Breath".

Spoiler:

As you can see, it's complete nonsense. Some if it just doesn't make sense. It's jumbled and broken and some sentences aren't even complete. I even have "quotes" or phrases that I want to remind myself to put into the story. However, when I skim it, I know exactly what I'm "trying" to say in that mess of words, which helps guide me to write the story.

Here is another example of an even shorter and less "detailed" plot outline. This is my current plot outline for my original fic, "Chutes and Ladders". This one is even worse and even more ridiculous.

Spoiler:

As you can see, the amount of detail in a plot outline doesn't necessarily matter. Use as much as you need to remind yourself of what you wanted to write later on. I have a decent memory, so I can get away with quick jotted down notes. Others may need very detailed paragraphs explaining each point.

Some outlines are long (my YLB outline was TEN PAGES!!), while others are shorter (C&L is about four pages max).

All of my failure stories had no solid end, and no real plot outline. I had nothing to guide me, so I ended up just writing a day by day story, and no one likes those.which just makes it long and boring. Having a plot outline saved me a lot of time trying to think of where to take the story next, and helped me remember some things I might have forgotten along the way.

Also, having a plot outline helps you remember details you might have already written that you could forget about! In YLB, there were so many little things I wanted to eventually touch back on, such as the Psyche/Tsugaru thing, or the medication, or the "fear" concept. Having my outline allowed me to look back and make sure I touched back on base. I was able to tie up all loose ends and fix any plot holes that might have appeared while writing.

In conclusion, I suggest having the entire plot of your story (yes, the ENTIRE THING) in a quick outline like this from start to finish. It doesn't have to be long and detailed or short and to the point. You can do it chapter by chapter, plot idea by plot idea, or whatever works for you! The idea is to have a solid concept of where you want your story to go, and to help remind you of details you want to touch back on, or remind you of ideas you might have forgotten.

I hope this tip helps all of you aspiring authors to create a wonderful work of fiction!

http://danicojo.tumblr.com/

PostSubject: Re: Plot Outlines   Thu May 31, 2012 2:36 am

This was really helpful. I should have been doing this long ago! Thanks for the advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kida, Masaomi

PostSubject: Re: Plot Outlines   Thu May 31, 2012 2:59 am

Thanks for the advice Psyche! Gonna need this for English!! XD

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plot Outlines   

Back to top Go down

Plot Outlines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1